We are committed to upholding your privacy and taking care with the personal information that you may volunteer.
Aberystwyth Arts Centre as part of Aberystwyth University is committed to protecting your personal information and being transparent about what information we hold about you.
Under UK GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation) we are responsible for ensuring that:
• Your personal data is kept secure and is protected.
• We are clear about the purposes we are using your data for.
• Your data is used in appropriate way.
• It is easy to withdraw consent or update your communication preferences at any time. It is also easy to give your consent at any time.
Using personal information helps us to better understand our customers and in turn to provide you with relevant and timely information about the work that we do – both on and off stage. As a charity, it also helps us to engage with potential donors and supporters.
This notice explains how we use your personal information in accordance with UK GDPR and all other applicable laws concerning the protection of personal information. This notice explains:
• What information we may collect about you.
• How we may use that information.
• When we use your details to contact you.
• In what situations we may disclose your details to third parties.
• How we keep your personal information secure, how we maintain it and your rights to be able to access it.
The personal information described in this notice is collected from you through the following.
• Your booking with Aberystwyth Arts Centre (online, over the phone or in person)
• Our website
• Emails you receive from us.
• Your visit to Aberystwyth Arts Centre
• Letters and other written correspondence
• Other interactions with us by phone or in person
Our website is one of the main places our customers interact with us and share their personal information. If you are concerned at any time that your online account may have been compromised, please contact the Box Office immediately email@example.com or the marketing team firstname.lastname@example.org. You will also find that there
Aberystwyth Arts Centre, as part of Aberystwyth University which acts in the capacity of data controller, conforms to the Data Protection Act and the UK General Data Protection Regulation.
Aberystwyth Arts Centre as part of Aberystwyth University (we) are committed to upholding your privacy and taking care with the personal information that you may volunteer as part of ticket bookings, online purchases, membership or donation forms, e-newsletter or event sign-ups and visitor surveys.
When processing your booking / purchase we will ask you for your name, address, email and telephone number. This is essential for processing all non-cash bookings.
We may also ask you if you would like to be kept informed about forthcoming events and campaigns at Aberystwyth Arts Centre. We retain personal information for administration, advertising, marketing and fundraising purposes.
Depending on what you have told us, we will be i) processing your information on the grounds that you have provided consent for this processing and for associated communications (Article 6(1)(a) of UK GDPR) ii) processing your information on the grounds that you entering into a contract when you buy tickets or products from the
Arts Centre or when you make a donation (Article 6(1)(b) of UK GDPR) and iii) processing your information on the grounds that it is in the ‘legitimate interests’ of the Arts Centre to do this (Article 6(1)(f) of UK GDPR) in that the Arts Centre requires the information in order to process financial and other transactions and keep a record of
Your information will only be accessed and used by Arts Centre staff. Third parties are occasionally used to provide facilities or services to help process data. For further information please contact Aberystwyth Arts Centre or the University Data Protection Officer at email@example.com
Award winning Aberystwyth Arts Centre is Wales’ largest arts centre and recognised as a ‘national flagship for the arts’. It has a wide-ranging artistic programme, both producing and presenting, across all art forms including drama, dance, music, visual arts, applied arts, film, new media, and community arts and is recognised as a
national centre for arts development.
Aberystwyth Arts Centre is a department of Aberystwyth University and a member of the Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences (FASS). Aberystwyth University is a charity and its Registered Charity* number is 1145141. We work closely with our fellow faculty colleagues who include the School of Art, Theatre, Film and Television
Studies, English and Creative Writing, European Languages, Welsh and Celtic Studies and the Music Centre. For more information on the Institute, click here Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences : About Us , Aberystwyth University
You will be asked for personal information and we will retain your name, contact details and contact preferences when you make a purchase from our box office or otherwise buy products from us, make a donation, join as a member, or otherwise provide us with your information. We will keep a record of your bank or credit card
details used to make the purchase, but only temporarily and solely to process your transaction. We will record details when you sign up to our mailing list, become a member or make a donation. Where you make a donation, we will keep a record of the details of the gift (amount and date) and your Gift Aid status.
We will store personal information which will include some of the following:
• Full names and titles
• Postal addresses
• Email addresses
• Telephone Numbers (Mobile and Landlines)
• Name of a child (for Aberystwyth Arts Centre Stage School, Youth Theatre, Dance School, programmes and any other Creative Learning classes, workshops and projects places booked by a parent or guardian)
• Date of birth
• Access requirements
• Any genre preferences or requests to be added to specific mailing lists
• Payment card details
• Information collected through surveys and questionnaires
• Information collected through cookies
Depending on what you have told us about your preferences we may contact you by:
4.2.Information about your interactions with us
When you visit our website, book to see a show, make a purchase, make a donation or receive a marketing communication from us we will make a record. This will include all or some of the following:
• Purchase History
• Donation History
• Gift Aid status
• Website visit history
• Emails sent, open and clicks (We keep a record of which emails we have sent you, which ones you have opened and which links you clicked)
• Mailings we have sent you
4.3. Sensitive personal data
Data Protection law recognises that certain categories of personal information are more sensitive such as health information, race, religious beliefs and political opinions. We do not usually collect this type of information about our customers unless there is a clear reason for doing so. We do collect allergy information about Aberystwyth Arts Centre Stage School, Youth Theatre, Dance School, Community Theatre programmes and any other Creative Learning classes, workshops and projects participants in the interest of their wellbeing during sessions. We will only ever use this in accordance with this policy and shall maintain necessary measures to protect this information and its confidentiality.
As part of your participation in some of our programmes we may use your data differently than is set out in this policy.
Your personal data is used for certain legitimate business purposes which may include some, or all of
the following (unless you ask us not to):
• Processing a booking / purchase and verifying payment through our website, over the phone or in person
• Setting up a customer account
• Enabling you to make a donation (either a one-off donation or an ongoing arrangement through Just Giving)
• Using your data to ensure we can fulfil our contract of service with you
• Letting you know about a change to a performance, including a change of
time or cancellation (in exceptional circumstances)
• Getting in touch with you with information about your visit to the theatre
• Sending you a post-show survey by email to help us understand how we can improve the service we provide you with
• Storing your data on a secure system
• Ensuring that you are sent relevant marketing information about
performances, events and products at Aberystwyth Arts Centre by email, by post or by phone
• Sharing your data securely with a supplier to undertake direct mailing on our behalf
• Getting in touch with you to acknowledge and thank you for a donation you have made
• Managing data on secure spreadsheets independent of our Box Office system
• Suppressing (not using) your data after inactivity (6 years)
• Using anonymised data to help make our marketing communications more effective
• Using anonymised data so that we can report to our funders
• Segmenting your data to ensure you are sent relevant information
• Using bulk email sending software for our email marketing communications
• To contact you with details on how you may support our work through making a donation
• To enable you to pre-order food and drink from our Cafe Bar
• To pre-order any additional services or products we may offer as part of your visit to the theatre
• To monitor and analyse visits to our website through Cookies
• Photos of our audience in our auditoria may be used in our marketing and promotional activity
• Photos of Aberystwyth Arts Centre Stage School, Youth Theatre, Dance School, Community Theatre programmes and any other Creative Learning classes, workshops and projects’ participants may be taken and used for documentary and marketing purposes
• Capturing and storing footage for security purposes
• To contact schools and colleges about relevant upcoming performances and projects
• To contact members of the press with invitations to press nights, press releases and story ideas and opportunities
• To invite funders, stakeholders and members of the theatre industry to guest nights
• To send funders, stakeholders and public representatives information about new and developments at Aberystwyth Arts Centre which are in the public interest
• To manage relationships with potential funders and donors
• To contact Aberystwyth Arts Centre patrons with information on performances and the latest news by email and by post
• To manage the running of Aberystwyth Arts Centre Stage School, Youth Theatre, Dance School, Community Theatre programmes and any other Creative Learning classes, workshops and projects which includes contacting parents/guardians if there are changes to sessions etc
With your consent, we will contact you to let you know about upcoming events, offers from our shop and restaurants, updates on our plans and progress we are making, and may ask you to join as a member, make a donation or give other types of support.
We make it easy for you to tell us how you want us to communicate, in a way that suits you. Our forms have clear marketing preference categories and we include the option to opt out when we send you marketing. If you don’t want to hear from us, that’s fine. Just let us know when you provide us with your information, change your
preferences at any time by changing the relevant settings in the “My Account” section of our website aberystwythartscentre.co.uk, the newsletter sign up page on our website, click unsubscribe on your newsletter or contact:
• Ticket office 01970 62 32 32 firstname.lastname@example.org or
• Marketing department email@example.com
• Shops firstname.lastname@example.org
Aberystwyth Arts Centre as part of Aberystwyth University, is data controller for the data we collect and store. Data is collected and stored through the following systems and platforms
• Through individuals signing up to emails and join our mailing list through our website. The sign up form is supplied by Ticketsolve (from
• Ticketsolve supplies our Box Office system which holds your accounts, purchase history, contact information, contact preferences and allows us to produce marketing reports and lists for marketing activity. Ticketsolve utilises Amazon Web Services (AWS) as our hosting provider, ensuring that all customer and company data is securely stored in the cloud. Our data is specifically hosted in AWS’ Dublin Data Centre, which is fully compliant with all Data Protection legislation.
• We use Mailchimp to send marketing emails
• Artifax is our room booking system where visiting company data may be stored.
• Audience Finder uses anonymised data to report on audiences.
• Global Payments processes our Box Office payments/ Paypal processes online shop purchases
• A range of other services may be used Your personal information will not be subjected to automated processing which would
negatively impact on any individual. The personal information that you provide will be held securely and will not be used for any other purpose than as provided for in this policy. We ensure that there are appropriate technical controls in place to protect your personal information. Information which we transfer is encrypted and password protected. All of our key marketing, box office, creative learning, and other admin staff receive data protection training.
The Craft and Design Shop, book shop, cafés and bars are run through Aberystwyth Arts Centre, previously University’s commercial services. The Craft and Design shop uses a number of third-party services to process transactions and data which include the following:
• The Craft and Design Shop and bookshop uses EKM to host their e-shop and Paypal processes e-shop online sales. The e-shop is external to Aberystwyth Arts Centre’s website and has a separate privacy statement which can be found here: http://www.aberartscentreshop.co.uk/
• The shops use Global Payments to process card transactions.
• The cafés and bars use Haven for their till systems and Verifone for card transactions.
If you are taking part in one of our Creative Learning workshops, classes or projects, we may need to collect additional information from you including, for example, medical details, details of any learning difficulties or special access requirement, educational attainment or details of prior artistic experience. This information will be used by Aberystwyth Arts Centre Creative Learning Department and the Box Office in order to plan and deliver the very best artistic and educational experiences for you, to keep participants safe throughout their experience with us, and may be passed to emergency services for use should any emergency situation arise. We will always seek your consent for the above at the time of collecting your information, and, where we need to collect this information in respect of children or young people we will ask parents or guardians to provide the information and consent to its use for the purposes described.
Creative Learning Facebook accounts
• Aberystwyth Arts Centre Dance School Ballet Closed group
• ABERYSTWYTH ARTS CENTRE DANCE SCHOOL Closed group
• Stage School group chat on Messenger
You may be expected to supply information in relation to course examinations, to the
• Royal Academy of Dance
Whenever we ask you to provide your personal information we will let you know why we are asking, and how we will use your information, by directing you towards this notice.
Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access certain parts of our site, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of your information transmitted to our site; any transmission is
at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
10.1. External Websites
This website includes links to external sites. Aberystwyth Arts Centre is not responsible for the content, availability or quality of any material contained on such sites and links to external sites should not be taken as an endorsement by the Arts Centre or
Aberystwyth University of opinions expressed or services offered by those sites.
Cookies are files stored in your browser and are used by most websites to help personalise your web experience. Some features on this site will not function if you do not allow cookies.
The list of cookies currently being set on the AAC website include:
– AAC CMS: wp-wpml_current_language
– Google (Google Analytics): _ga_*, _ga
– Facebook: fr, (if a user is logged in to FB) c_user, datr, pl, presence, sb, wd, xs
– ShareThis: __stid, pxcelBcnLcy, pxcelPage_c010, _unam
– Soundcloud: __utma, __utmb, __utmc, __utmt, __utmz, sc_anonymous_id,
G_AUTHUSER_H, G_ENABLED_IDPS, __qca, __utma (second), __utmb (second),
__utmc (second), __utmz (second), _soundcloud_session, a, c, i, ja, l, p, qc, qg,
qp, qt, qu, remember_me_flag, rubicon_last_sync, rubicon_user_id,
sc_anonymous_id, sclocale, u
– Twitter: _ga, _gat, _gid, _twitter_sess, ads_prefs, auth_token, ct0, dnt, eu_cn,
guest_id, kdt, personalization_id, remember_checked_on, twid
– Vimeo: vuid, __qca, __ssid, _ceg.s, _ceg.u, _ga, _gat_UA-76641-8, _gid, _uetsid,
auth_xsrft, new_user_from_redirect, optimizelyBuckets, optimizelyEndUserId,
– YouTube: YSC, __Secure-YEC, VISITOR_PRIVACY_METADATA, VISITOR_INFO1_LIVE,
11.1. Third parties
• Hosting providers for the secure storage and transmission of your data
• Identity management providers for authentication purposes
• Database software providers for the management and tracking of your data
• Legal and compliance consultants, such as external counsel, external
auditors, or tax
• Marketing providers who send communications on our behalf regarding our
• Payment solution providers for the secure processing of payments you
provide to us
• Fulfillment and postal vendors for the fulfilment of our products and services
Third parties include the following service providers who process data on our behalf
and on our instructions:
• Patronbase Box Office System changing to Ticketsolve September 2023
• Mailchimp (email)
• Purple 7 (audience survey)
• Audience Agency / Audience Finder (they anonymize data)
• Cambrian Printers (brochure mailing service)
Creative Learning third parties:
• Royal Academy of Dance
In these cases we require that these third parties comply strictly with our instructions and with data protection laws, for example around security of personal data. We normally put a data privacy agreement in place that sets out our expectations and requirements, especially regarding how they manage the personal information they have collected or have access to.
When you sign up to our email newsletters, you receive these emails through Mailchimp which is a data processor operating outside the European Economic Area (EEA). Although they may not be subject to same data protection laws as companies
based in the UK, we will take steps to make sure they provide an adequate level of protection in accordance with UK data protection law. By submitting your personal
information to us you agree to this transfer, storing or processing at a location outside the EEA (including in the United States).
We will not share data with named visiting companies.
11.2. Legal obligation
We may share your data where we are under a duty to disclose your personal information in order to comply with any legal obligation (for example to government bodies and law enforcement agencies).
We endeavour to keep your personal information accurate and up to date. If you become aware of errors or inaccuracies, please email email@example.com
For the shops email firstname.lastname@example.org
We would really appreciate it if you could let us know if your contact details change.
Your personal information will only be held for as long as necessary:
13.1. Accounts and booking records
If you have previously consented to receive marketing information but have not booked for a performance in the past three years, we will email to ask you to refresh your consent. If we do not hear from you within one month your record will be set to do not contact. After six years of inactivity on an account the record will be completely anonymised with only a record of the transaction being retained for our records. We will periodically check with you that your details and contact preferences are as you would like them.
If you sign up to receive emails from us, we will periodically check with you that you continue to wish to hear from us. The option to unsubscribe is on all of our email communications.
13.3. CCTV footage
We retain CCTV footage for 1 month. This is held by Site Security at Aberystwyth University contact email@example.com for more information.